2010 Calendar of Events
We have several methods of informing our members of events. Our primary method is our private mailing list. If you'd like to be added, send an email to email@example.com. Make sure you mention that you want to be added to the WvB mailing list so I know what you want.
We've recently added a Facebook Fan Page and a Twitter account. The announcements from our private email list will also be forwarded to these accounts. However, private information such as phone numbers and addresses will not be posted on those public forums to ensure members' privacy is protected. The Twitter account is particularly useful to those without regular computer access, as you're able to follow "tweets" on your cell phone as SMS text messages.
While this page contains the most important events that we have planned for the year, our NEW Events Calendar has a more extensive listing of events. Please be aware that last minute changes can occur, so please subscribe to our mailing list for any additional updates. If you have questions or need to verify if an event is still taking place, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For last minute verifications or emergencies, call the Commanding Office, Richard L. Trulson, at 256-658-1018 during the afternoons or evenings.
Our general meetings are held the first Sunday of every month at 2 PM in meeting room C on the second floor of the Huntsville / Madison County Public Library. The main branch of the library is located at 915 Monroe Street near the Von Braun Center between Clinton Avenue and Governors Drive, both of which are easily accessible from Memorial Parkway. The meeting rooms are on the second floor just behind and to the left of the reference desk in the center. Library policies prohibit food and drinks in the meeting rooms.
If bad weather or a holiday occurs on that day, our meetings will be held the following Sunday at the same location and time. The business portion of the meeting generally lasts about a half hour, though we usually socialize for about an hour or two. We occasionally go to a movie or have some other fun activity during or after the meeting, usually the Star Trek version of Uno.
March 12-14, 2010, Friday-Sunday:
- The annual Region 2 Summit will be held in Columbus, GA this year.
April 11, 2010, Sunday, 1 PM:
- April's general meeting is cancelled since the first Sunday is Easter. Instead, we're having a potluck picnic at Monte Sano State Park. The Park has a small entry fee, so don't forget to bring a few dollars to drop in the honor box at the gate. We'll grab a picnic table in a shady area on the left side of the main picnic/parking area that's to your right as soon as you enter. Look for our STARFLEET flag.
May 23, 2010, Sunday, 2 PM:
- Miniature golf outing at Southern Adventures, which is located at 2150 Leeman Ferry Cir SW. To get there, take Leeman Ferry Road south as it branches off Memorial Parkway. Southern Adventures is down the little cul de sac behind Joe Davis Stadium.
Adult admission is $7.50 and child admission is $5. (Rain location will be Safari Mini Golf inside Madison Square Mall, near the escalators on the Sears / food court end, but on the lower level.)
July 11, 2010, 2 PM, Sunday:
- General meeting in meeting room D on the second floor of the Huntsville Public Library at 915 Monroe Street near the VBC. The July meeting will be held one week later than usual due to Independence Day occurring on our regular meeting date.
July 20, 1969: Moon Landing Anniversary:
- The date Neil Armstrong took one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind. We've incorporated the date into our chapter's NCC number, which is NCC 72069.
July 26, 2010, Sunday:
- This is the target date for our trip to the US Space and Rocket Center to see the traveling Star Wars exhibit, which runs from June 25 through September 6.
July 30-August 1, 2010, Friday-Sunday:
- The annual STARFLEET International Conference will be held in Western Hills, OK.
August 5-8, 2010, Thursday-Sunday:
- The Official Star Trek Convention is held every year in Las Vegas, NV. This huge Creation Convention features over 30 guests from all Star Trek series and movies, as well as numerous guests from other science-fiction and fantasy shows and movies.
September 3-6, 2010, Friday-Monday:
- DragonCon in Atlanta, GA, is the largest convention in the southeast featuring dozens of guests, hundreds of hours of panels, live music, costume contests, auctions, art shows, competitions, and other entertainment. They even have a street parade featuring with costumes and floats.
September 12, 2010, 2 PM, Sunday:
- The September meeting will be postponed one week due to the Labor Day holiday weekend near our regular meeting date. It will be combined with the Aerospace Day and Anniversary Party at Richard's home in Ardmore (28825 Airport Lane). We'll watch videos, play cards or games, fly paper airplanes, launch model rockets, and generally kick back and relax. This is open to everyone, so please feel free to bring guests. It's a potluck affair, so please RSVP at email@example.com or call 256-658-1018.
September 17-19, Friday-Sunday:
- ConStellation is Huntsville's annual literary/fantasy/gaming convention put on by NASFA.
September 25, 1993:
- Anniversary date of our commissioning as a full chapter of STARFLEET.
December 24, 1992:
- Anniversary date of our launching as a shuttle (a chapter in training) of STARFLEET.
USS Wernher von Braun: Return to the Main Page
This page was last updated on Wednesday, June 02, 2010. For any questions about the Wernher von Braun or this web page, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.